Most homeowners don’t want to say “I’d wish I’d known that before I picked a mover.”
Having a checklist of questions in advance might prevent this issue. Below is a list of questions that will help to provide you with things to discuss when interviewing a moving company.
- What is the charge for packing?
- Does it include boxes? If not, what do they cost and will you deliver them?
- Is there an additional charge to deliver some items to a storage unit?
- How is a damage claim handled?
- What insurance do you provide and is there a cost?
- Does the insurance cover items packed by the owner?
- Can additional insurance be purchased?
- If items are covered by my Homeowner’s insurance, whose insurance pays first?
- Can you ship my car(s)? Will they be in the moving van or towed?
- What are the charges for shipping cars, lawn tractors, etc?
- What items cannot be shipped?
- If a shuttle truck is needed because of the location of my house or size of the drive way, is there an additional charge?
- If packing and loading are on different days, can you leave the beds and other basics out for us to use?
- What dates are available for our move?
- What date will you pack and how long will this take?
- What date will you load the van?
- What date will the van arrive at my new location?
- If my new home is not ready for delivery, how many days can it be delayed before there is a charge?
- What is the charge for additional days or weeks?
- Are there any additional fees that I’m responsible for that have not been discussed?
- What are the terms of payment?
- Is a down payment required?
- When will the balance be due and who is authorized to accept it?